Q: I always feel judged by fit ‘lean’ people when I go to the gym! It gets so bad I often just skip my workout! How do I get around this and feel more comfortable in the gym?
A: I know this is a toughy, not everyone is ‘spandex hot pants clad, 8 pack poppin gym bunny gymnast type’. I have ABSOLUTELY NO TOLERANCE for judgement in the gym! Everyone starts somewhere and just the mere fact that the person is willing to start is an amazing achievement that should be encouraged not judged! Sies on them! I was that awkward person walking into the gym and sitting backwards on the forward facing machine..just own it, you just designed a new exercise! hhahah… in all seriousness though, shame on those people! You are there to get healthier and fitter, keep this as your focus when you walk in there! Let those idiots stare, because they are at fault not you! The guilt cycle that will trigger the minute you ditch a workout is horrendous, and all of this because of some twit that can’t remember the newbie they were! Not on. You walk in that gym and you strut your stuff, every day spent working on your health and wellness is far more important than some moron that can’t focus on their own workout!
I have a set understanding with my online clients that go to gym, as opposed to home workouts, that if anyone gives them trouble in the gym, they phone me right there and hand the person the phone! Nobody deserves that treatment.
My advice to you is this:
– You have just as much right to be there as they do!
– Think about where they started!
– Don’t take note!
– Find someone to show you around if you are unsure of how everything works.
– IF you can, try go in off peak hours! Just until you are more comfy with the set up
– Remind yourself why you are there!
– Take a buddy, this will distract you from your surroundings and make things more fun! Take someone who will also keep you motivated and disciplined
– Inbox me if you need my phone number, then call me when someone ‘picks on you’..they will only do that to you once
– Adopt an italian evil eye…if you feel someone is staring at you (and you are sure it is not because they want to come over and ask for your phone number), pluck up every ounce of courage you have and give them the evil eye! No one gets to treat you badly. Scare them off. Eye of the tiger…
– consider that you might be wrong about the judgement, you could just be insecure because you feel uncomfortable initially. This will pass, just keep going
and for everyone else, if you are one of those spandex clad judgy types, hear me…You too were once that awkward newbie who had to find their way around the adult jungle gym that is a workout facility! Have grace for their process too. We are all different shapes and sizes and more often than not you too were of a shape or size that you were uncomfortable with, you worked through that and got to a point where you are comfortable in your own skin! Allow them this opportunity and instead of casting a judgemental glance their way, rather offer some assistance if you see them struggling with something, or a word of encouragement. It may have taken every fibre of courage to get themselves to the gym that day!