Q: Coconut oil is all the rage @ the moment. But what is better? Butter, olive oil or coconut oil?!
A: aaah yes, the ‘which is better’ debate. I’m Glad you asked! There are just some oils that are better than others, okay, far better than others. They build your body up, as opposed to making your body work harder. Here is a list of the really good ones and the best ways to use them (i will save the best for last, my favourite option):
- Butter – this is a hot topic in a lot of debates! I eat it, in moderation and I make absolutely sure that it only contains cream and salt! They can pack some pretty scary things into butter. Use it occassionally on a rye cracker or rice cake. There are better, more nutrient filled, alternatives tho.
- Olive oil – has to be extra virgin and cold pressed. Contains phytonutrients and antioxidants, which help with inflammation! Best used raw on salads and veg, not to be heated at overly high temperatures as it has what is called a ‘low smoke point’ hahah, loses a lot of its nutritional value and can become toxic, yuck!
- Grapeseed oil – a must for wine lovers because it is a byproduct of the wine process, yeehaw! It has a ‘very high smoke point’ (this gets me every time! hahah), so it is a nice option for shallow frying those sweet potato wedges or chips. No real taste to it so it doesn’t overpower your meal! Grapeseed can also be added to your beauty regime, yip! It makes a nice massage oil, has antiseptic properties and is an astrigent used to tone and tighten!
- Avo oil – a very healthy fat, loads omega 3 so excellent for inflammation; cholesterol and blood pressure! Contains a potent antioxidant that benefits the eyes. Very good option to use in cooking and yummy on salads and veg! Superb for a nice facemask too! tasty! Don’t lick! Also nice to use as a massage oil, even on babies!
- Hemp oil – tasty…and no, its not what you think hahaha..it does not do well under heat. Save this tasty one for salads and dips and drizzles over your veg dish!
- And finally, my absolute favourite and the winner by a mile – COCONUT OIL – where to start? This wonderful oil lives up to its reputation. People are often scared to use it because of the potential of everything tasting of coconut. It hardly has any flavour if you choose the right ones! It is absorbed into your cells really easily, doesn’t put the liver under pressure and is converted into energy and not stored as fat! Whoopee! It puts very little strain on your body and has the ability to boost the immune system. Coconut oil can be used for anything, shallow frying, roasting, baking (see my fudge recipe). As part of your beauty regime, it can reduce gum disease, help with eczema, as a moisturiser, make up remover, face mask… oh, the list is endless! I personally use only coconut oil and raw honey as my moisturiser!! I have never been happier, my skin isn’t itchy or dry and it so affordable!
So in short (or not so much) coconut oil is the preferred oil of choice in our house! We have the others, but they are used for their specific purposes. Coconut oil everywhere and on everything hahaha.
Hope this helps